PRE-SESSIONAL EAP COURSE
What is it?
The Pre-sessional English for Academic Purposes course at MCSE provides students with the academic skills and language needed for study purposes at university for under-graduate courses (e.g. foundation and first degree courses) and post-graduate study (e.g. Master’s and PhD courses).
Who is it for?
The Pre-sessional EAP course at MCSE is suitable for
- students who have achieved their IELTS score and require Academic English and study skills to prepare for university
- students who have a first degree and simply want to refresh their Academic English and study skills before starting a post-graduate course at university
Aims of the course
The Pre-sessional EAP course at MCSE prepares students for university by
- developing academic language and critical thinking skills in academic contexts
- providing authentic practice in listening to lectures and note-taking
- practising presentation skills and participating in discussion groups and seminars
- analysing the characteristics of written and spoken texts
- learning how to organise essays
- learning how to write references, paraphrase texts and avoid plagiarism
- developing independent learning skills
What is studied on the course?
- academic writing
- listening and note-taking
- academic speaking
- reading comprehension and strategies
- reference / citation / research skills
- integrated study skills
- note-making (from reading)
- self-study skills
- advanced grammar
- academic vocabulary
- critical thinking skills
What level of English is needed for the course?
The course focuses on CEFR levels B2 and C1, equivalent to IELTS bands 6.0 to 7.0. You will need to prove your level of English before acceptance on to the course.
How long is the course?
The course takes 8 weeks full-time.
The course has a specific start date and end date – such dates are determined by the number of students wishing to take the course at a given time.
All four language skills (reading, writing, listening and speaking) plus knowledge of grammar and vocabulary are assessed at the end of the course.
|Hours per week:||21 Hours (Intensive)|
|Level:||Beginner and above|
|Class size:||12 students maximum|
|Timetable:||Monday to Friday 9.30 am – 12.45 pm
Monday to Thursday 1.30 pm – 3.00 pm
- Pre-sessional course
- Professional qualification
- Study at MCSE